Welcome

These poems are the fruit of almost 30 years of occasional writing. They were written as private reflections, or for friends and family. I hadn't intended them for public consumption, but people have told me now and then that they thought I should share them, so I have. I shall add new poems if and when I write them, though a lot of my words tend to go into sermons these days!
If you find something you like and find helpful, you are welcome to use it and share it, but please make sure my name stays attached to it.
The poems are posted in no particular order, but the labels - click on links below - should help you find poems on various themes.
There are also separate pages on this blog containing links to music composed by my husband, Philip, and to Christmas stories which I have told here at Seal in place of sermons on Christmas Day.

Monday 13 April 2020

For those who hear the church clock chime: a poem for lockdown


The church is locked,
but on a routine visit
 - I’m the only one allowed inside the building now,
and only then to check for fallen plaster -
I find
all is well,

and more,
the ancient stones still sigh out prayers
laid down by centuries of worshippers,
and angels dance,
singing,
“Go in peace.
He is not here, closed in these stones.
Wherever you are, you will find him.”

Later, lying in my bed,
I hear the church clock chiming,
tolling out its news;

One:
Peace.

Two:
Fear not.

Three:
Christ is risen.

Four:
Light shines in darkness.

Five:
Darkness has not o'ercome it.

Six:
Be strong and of good courage.

Seven:
Faith, hope and love abide, these three.

Eight:
I shall not leave you or forsake you.

Nine:
Love one another, just as I have loved you.

Ten:
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

Eleven:
You have served me in the least of these my children.

Twelve:
Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of time.
Anne Le Bas. Easter Monday 2020




1. John 20.19
2.Matthew 28.5
3. Luke 24.5
4. John 1. 5
5. John 1.5
6. Joshua 1.9
7. 1 Corinthians 13. 13
8. Hebrews 13.5
9. John 15.12
10. 2 Corinthians 3.17
11. Matthew 25.40
12. Matthew 28.20

1 comment: