Welcome

These poems are the fruit of almost 30 years of occasional writing. They were written as private reflections, or for friends and family. I hadn't intended them for public consumption, but people have told me now and then that they thought I should share them, so I have. I shall add new poems if and when I write them, though a lot of my words tend to go into sermons these days!
If you find something you like and find helpful, you are welcome to use it and share it, but please make sure my name stays attached to it.
The poems are posted in no particular order, but the labels - click on links below - should help you find poems on various themes.
There are also separate pages on this blog containing links to music composed by my husband, Philip, and to Christmas stories which I have told here at Seal in place of sermons on Christmas Day.

Friday 10 March 2017

Let the women keep silence

Miriam settled down among the women
as they brushed the sand out of the folds of cloth
and combed it from their loosened hair.
Then the chattering of the timbrels
and the whooping of the public song
stuttered into silence
as she told the real tale.

Midwives, mothers, sisters,
and the daughter of a Pharaoh
conspiring,
not to save a nation,
but for one small child
squalling in the reed beds.
One living,
and so many drowned.

And her words,
covered by the drifting sand
linger deep beneath the surface,
to be tapped by those who have the will to dig.


Jan 7th 96
Exodus 15.20-21
1 Timothy 2.11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment