Welcome

These poems are the fruit of almost 30 years of occasional writing. They were written as private reflections, or for friends and family. I hadn't intended them for public consumption, but people have told me now and then that they thought I should share them, so I have. I shall add new poems if and when I write them, though a lot of my words tend to go into sermons these days!
If you find something you like and find helpful, you are welcome to use it and share it, but please make sure my name stays attached to it.
The poems are posted in no particular order, but the labels - click on links below - should help you find poems on various themes.
There are also separate pages on this blog containing links to music composed by my husband, Philip, and to Christmas stories which I have told here at Seal in place of sermons on Christmas Day.

Monday 6 June 2016

The peacock takes his place in heaven



In India the gods ride on a peacock's back,
and yet outside the gates of Heaven he waited,
unconvinced that here within these shining barricades
there was a place where he might find a home.

He watched the other birds
- drab greys and sober browns –
settle smugly in the mustard tree,
spreading out their wings.
No room for peacocks there.

But God had seen him hiding just beyond the wall,
and wept,
and went outside.

“Come in.  What better place for you than here ? 
Come in. 
Who made your plumage, who, your crested head?
Who practised blue and green and purple on your silky tail?
Come in.  For who but I created you to tell the solemn world
that heaven does not happen only here behind these jewelled walls
but everywhere you spread your God-reflecting feathers.”

Slowly, with a wary hope,
the peacock lifted up his head
and looked into the iridescent eyes of God

"Climb on my back, “the peacock softly cried,
"we'll go together through these gates,
and I shall be a fitting bearer for the King of kings.”

  
4th Dec 97

I wrote this for a friend who was discovering his colourful nature. 
In Hindu belief one of the sons of Shiva, Kumari – also known as Skanda – who is the God of war, rides on a peacock.

No comments:

Post a Comment