Welcome

These poems are the fruit of almost 30 years of occasional writing. They were written as private reflections, or for friends and family. I hadn't intended them for public consumption, but people have told me now and then that they thought I should share them, so I have. I shall add new poems if and when I write them, though a lot of my words tend to go into sermons these days!
If you find something you like and find helpful, you are welcome to use it and share it, but please make sure my name stays attached to it.
The poems are posted in no particular order, but the labels - click on links below - should help you find poems on various themes.
There are also separate pages on this blog containing links to music composed by my husband, Philip, and to Christmas stories which I have told here at Seal in place of sermons on Christmas Day.

Monday 6 June 2016

Traveller



He was bedraggled
mud-dust-grime bespattered clothes and tangled hair.
- No one had smoothed it for a while -
But often on his weather scoured face
a flash of joy exploded
at some old joke , or some last laugh or some unexpected triumph.

He had no home, except the next step on the road,
and all he owned he carried in a battered bag slung on his back
- one flask of oil
- one jar of wine
- one loaf of bread
- some water in a bottle
- and a small reed pipe to play on at the end of day.

And what tunes he could spin!
Laments by firelight for our flowing tears
and jigs and reels for dancing on our blisters. 
And when night came what tales he could tell!
To make the fire leap and the trees laugh
and to break your heart, and mend it.

He had joined my journey where the road divided,
I suppose,
for thinking back, I didn't see him coming.
When I asked his destination he just smiled and answered,
“Mine to know and yours to find!”
But I can tell you where he'd been –
for each foot had a red raw hole
and, as he travelled,
walking on his wounds,
his steps left bloody footprints on the road behind.


Aug 90
When I wrote this I lived near Glastonbury, a place which attracts many people, for all sorts of reasons. Many of them seemed to have been battered by life in some way. It was common to find a traveller on the doorstep, homeless and penniless, and to be rustling up a cheese sandwich and a mug of tea to keep them going. Who knows who those travellers were, underneath the inevitable grime and scars their lives had left them with? I was always aware that I might be meeting Christ in the guise of a stranger, just as the two disciples making their way back to Emmaus did on the first Easter Sunday.





No comments:

Post a Comment